About our club
The Club was founded in July 2008 and is a Registered Charitable Trust. The Lavingtons are in the midst of a rural area, where regular travel to other, bigger centres is time-consuming and perhaps out of the reach of many young athletes for reasons of lack of transport or support from others. The Club is open to anyone aged 5 and upwards, Seniors, Masters and Disability athletes. The Juniors Section of the Trust started in January 2011 and is for children 5 – 9 years of age and is proving exceptionally popular. Training is based on Fundamentals of Movement and will concentrate on improving balance, hand to eye co-ordination, fitness and, above all, to be FUN. The Trust does not discriminate and operates an Equal Opportunity Policy.
Deborah Bray - Level 3 Coach
In 1985, Deborah qualified as a Registered General Nurse in Shrewsbury and specialized in Intensive Care nursing before joining the Army as a Nursing Sister. When her two children began full-time schooling, she re-trained as a Chiropodist/Podiatrist and had a particular interest in biomechanics and the effect intensive sport has on the young sportsperson's maturing body.
Deborah has been coaching since 2001 and coaches Combined Events as well as being a qualified Coach in Jumps, Throws and Children in Athletics. She is also a Level 3 Performance Coach and Level 3 High Jump Coach. In 2006, she was awarded the UK Athletics South West Emerging Talent of the Year for her Volunteer work, organising and team managing the County's Young Sports Hall athletes. She was the Chairman of Wessex & Bath AC until it amalgamated with City of Bath to become Team Bath. For several years, she was her club's National Young Athletes League Team Manager. She helps team manage the County's Combined Events teams both at Regional and National events. She is also employed to coach athletics at Marlborough College.
Deborah also spent 2 years learning how to coach Pole Vault at Bath. Apart from coaching her own group locally, she travels to Marlborough Juniors and City of Salisbury AC, where she helps flourishing groups of enthusiastic athletes in a variety of events, partucularly high jumpers. She has also coached many young athletes to county, regional and national schools competitions and some have also achieved very good national rankings. She is also a qualified athletics Field Events Official and has done the Timekeepers Course. In April 2011, she added to her qualifications in Disability by doing the Boccia Leaders Award. She also regularly works in the Call Room at International events.
In September 2011, Deborah was asked by the Mencap England Squad coaches for Athletes with a Learning Disability to help run a Development Squad in the South of England. She and Malcom Wallace run this squad at Lee Valley several times a year. Details of forthcoming events etc are advertised on our LA Blog page and in our Disability Section.
- In March 2012 Deborah offered and became the Disability Officer for the Wiltshire County Athletic Association.
- November 2013 Deborah became an Athlefit Course Leader
- In the winter of 2017 several athletes from Fairfield Farm College began training with us.
- In September 2015 Deborah was the winner of the England Athletics SW Coach of the Year Award.
- In October 2015 Deborah was the winner of England Athletics Coach of the Year at their Annual National Awards.
Paul Warren - Hurdles. Paul is an occasional visiting coach. His available sessions will be posted on our Website and Private Facebook page.
- Sid Keyte - Jumps. He has done several London Marathons and is our very popular long jump coach.
- Titus Clark. Student at Dauntsey's School. Helper Junior Section, applying to go on Assistant Coach course
- Jacob Wilkinson - Is currently at Swansea University training to be an Osteopath and coaches at the Club whenever possible.
- Lianne Miller-Hall - Junior Athletes Section. She has been involved with athletics since a young age as her Dad use to run for the British Team. As a teenager I used to train at Loughborough University track and run cross country for Leicestershire County. I am a trained Sports Therapist and a Gym Instructor. When my boys were young I was also a volunteer helper at the Gloucestershire Youth Games.
- Chairman - Cllr Richard Gamble
- Treasurer - Andrew Bray
- Coaching Coordinator - Deborah Bray
Athlefit Course Leaders
- Deborah Bray
- David Hemery CBE
- Peter Dixon (British Chiropractic Association)
* Emergency Responder